As of 1st January 2014, SCBWI Australia East & New Zealand is proud to be recognised as a partner organisation of the Australian Society of Authors (ASA).
The Australian Society of Authors (ASA) has advanced and protected the interests of writers and illustrators since 1963. For over 50 years they have been providing advocacy, support and advice to Australian creators relating to their professional practice.
One of the great achievements of the ASA was the successful campaign for Public Lending Rights and Educational Lending Rights which provides payments to creators for works in libraries, as well as the foundation of the Copyright Agency, which has created an additional income stream for many writers.
ASA membership provides:
• Member access to a contract assessment service
• Member discounts on professional development courses
• Advice from experienced staff on a wide range of industry issues
• Exclusive access to job opportunities through the author directory and ASA Style File for illustrators
• Member pricing on resources including information papers and contract templates
• Member access to a distribution arrangement for print books
• Discounted or exclusive entry to awards, residencies, mentorships and industry opportunities, such as Literary Speed Dating
For a full list of ASA services and member benefits see the ASA website.
To receive your SCBWI discount on ASA membership phone the ASA on 02 9211 1004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
SCBWI and ASA have always had a supportive relationship. SCBWI children’s authors and illustrators have a significant history of cooperation with SCBWI Regional Advisors and Assistant Regional Advisors, as well as SCBWI members becoming on the Board of the ASA.
ASA Board Members have included RA Frane Lessac; ARA Sheryl Gwyther, Hazel Edwards OAM, Mark Carthew and the respected Chair of the Board Sophie Masson and many others.